I’ve had a spate of days where I’ve come home grumpy and feel the urge to crawl under the covers. Today is another one of those days. I’ve already gotten all hot and bothered and kvetched about it over the phone with a friend. But now it’s time to turn it around.
Since I don’t believe in brushing negative emotions aside like they don’t matter (they’ll come back to haunt you 10, 15, 20 years later). And I don’t believe in wallowing in negativity (who wants to be a miserable fuck?). My solution to keeping my attitude in check is to sit with the discomfort for a while and work through it.
If you find yourself not being able to work through it and you’re repeating the same negative monologue over and over again – then just move on. Move on by focusing on the things that you’re grateful for. You can still be grumpy later, but it’s not serving you (or anyone) to dwell on it. Gratitude is a great counterbalance to grumpy. You may not feel 100% better but at least you can stop yourself from feeling worse.
A lot of times the things that I’m grateful are super small – that’s okay. It still counts. Your life is comprised of a collection of small things anyway, so it’s a good place to focus on. The big things are rare.
Here are seven things I am grateful for today:
- I am grateful for the free cup of coffee I got at Starbucks. I left my wallet on my desk, ordered the coffee and then found out I didn’t have my wallet when I went to pay. The barista said, “Don’t worry about it! Next time!”
- I am grateful for my friend Asha who reminded me to, “Amplify only those voices you believe should be heard.” Sometimes this applies to those voices in your head.
- I am grateful for my new colleagues at work who are equal parts smart, generous, and hilarious.
- I am grateful that the spring is only 57 days away and the sun will set at 5 pm for the first time since November.
- I am grateful that I have a home that rises up to greet me.
- I am grateful for my favorite chair. It’s my favorite place to write.
- I am grateful for my friend Jodie, who keeps me motivated to keep moving forward.
Obviously, there are a ton of people and things that I am grateful for, but these are the first seven to come to mind. I could keep going, but I already feel better.
One more thing, I am eternally grateful for you. Whoever you are. I so appreciate you taking the time to stop by.
See you tomorrow.
leave a comment
TLDR: Be Cool
This Extraordinary Life reserves the right to restrict comments that do not contribute constructively to the conversation at hand, that comment on people’s physical appearance, contain profanity, personal attacks, hate speech or seek to promote a personal or unrelated business. Our goal is to create a safe space where everyone feels comfortable to speak. Please treat others the way you would like to be treated and be willing to take responsibility for the impact your words may have on others. Disagreement, differences of opinion and heated discussion are welcome, but comments that do not seek to have a mature and constructive dialogue will not be published. These guidelines help us maintain a safe space and work toward our goal of connecting with and learning from each other.